17 October, 2007

Barcelona ...

There are few places in the world which when remembered do nothing but bring a smile to one's face. Barcelona is one of those places.

The Hostel:
To start, the hostel I stayed in was amazing. It was clean, in a great location and had a great staff. More importantly however are the fellow travelers that just happened to be staying there as well. I met a great group of girls taking a week off from their studies in England, two crazy Icelanders on a journey around the world (next stop for them is a two week rafting trip in Nepal) and a four crazy 'ozzies' who felt like owning the world (check them out at www.mymacjacket.com).The Nightlife:
So yeah, Barcelona is ridiculous. I went out one night night til 3:30AM and felt that was late until I met these Americans in Park Guell and they invited me to meet up with them at night and go out. Well, after far too many drinks and my dancing shoes wearing down to their soles, we stumbled back to our respective hotels. Time of departure: 5:30 AM. I'll tell you one thing though ... it was truly a great night.

















The Sights:
I saw many things in Barcelona and as far as architecture is concerned, this is Gaudi city. La Sagrada Familia is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. I do not know how any one man could have conceived that design and still can't believe the detail that be illustrated in stone. Park Guell is another beautiful highlight. The views from the top by the cross are phenomenal and the mosaic architecturewill leave you breathless.The Farewell:
I spent my last day in Barcelona cruising on my own with the destination being Place Espanya. The castle, located at the bottom of Montjuic, is beautiful. I cannot remember blinking as I made my way down the promenade and stairs leading up to it. From there I relaxed at the hostel recanting a few stories with the Icelanders, Hinni and Stani (sp?), before I threw on the backpack and made my way to the airport.

In all, Barcelona was amazing and is definitely a place that I would not be opposed to returning again.

Note: Should you wish to see the whole load of pictures, you can email me at pezeshka@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to the album on ofoto.com

No comments: